Chocolate Beet Cupcakes- with an Orange Molasses Glaze & Buttermilk Icing
First, I want you all to know that the cupcakes were delicious, until I added molasses. It was awful. I was worried about the beets, but the molasses is what ruined it for me. So I will share my recipe excluding that nasty stuff.
Ingredients For Cake
2 cups flour (preferably 1 cup cake flour, 1 cup ap flour)
2 cups sugar
10 oz softened unsalted butter
1 heaping tsp baking powder
1/2 cup butter milk
1 1/4 cup cocoa
3 tablespoons orange juice
2 roasted and pureed fresh beets
Ingredients for Glaze
1 cup unsweetened orange juice
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
Ingredients for Icing
2 cups sifted confectioner’s sugar
1 Tbsp butter, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
3-4 Tbsps buttermilk
To roast beets, scrub but do not peel. Wrap in foil and place in oven at 400 degrees for 50 minutes or until a knife can cut right through them. After roasted, let cool, and peel with fingers or a small knife. Puree in the blender.
The beets make the cupcakes more soft and dense.
Directions for Cupcakes
- Line cupcake pan cupcake liners and spray with pan spray.
- Cream together butter and sugar with hand mixer or stand mixer, until light.
- Add eggs one at a time until completely incorporated.
- Slowly add flour and baking soda until incorporated.
- Add orange juice, buttermilk, beets, and cocoa one at a time, and beat until well mixed.
- Pour into pans, filling each cup 2/3 the way full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Poke holes with a fork over the cupcakes and baste with glaze.
- Let cool.
- Dip cupcake tops in icing and top with orange zest.
Directions for glaze
- Heat all ingredients over stove top until sugar is melted. Let simmer for 6 minutes.
- Baste over cupcakes while still hot.
Directions for icing
- In a medium bowl, mix sugar and butter. Add vanilla.
- Add milk 1 Tbsp at a time until you get the desired consistency. (Adding more milk will make it thinner.) Mix until smooth.
- Transfer glaze to a small, deep bowl and you can just dip the tops of your cupcakes in it.
And here they are. Messy as ever. Enjoy.